Saturday, December 31, 2011

Two Guidebooks for the New Year


As we are on the brink of 2012, I wanted to share a two books I plan to use as guides into the new year.  The first, I am so excited about.  I actually started reading Organized Simplicity last October during my last 20 Bags in 20 Days challenge.  It actually took the wind out of my sails a bit, as I saw that this book was asking me to take my humble attempts at organizing and purging to a whole other glorious level.



I read all the wonderfully laid out theory and vision part and then stopped at the halfway point - the point where the real work began - and put it aside for the new year...which is now HERE!  I'm tired of the disorder and the time I waste taking care of things that are not useful, necessary, or beautiful.  I'm so excited to begin the Big Purge and give my family a fresh start at clutter-free, intentional living.  So you'll be hearing more about my progress and what I learn in the next couple months especially, and I'd love to have you join me!  You know you won't regret it. : )

*****
My second book is one I'm sure most of you have heard of.  Ann Voskamp's One Thousand Gifts. I also started this one a couple months ago and then reluctantly gave my copy it away as a gift.  It is so strongly stirring and uniquely beautiful, after the first few chapters you feel desperate to share this treasure of a book with someone else quick-quick.

So I will start this year rereading in earnest, accompanied by a little journal to record my own list of one thousand gifts.  It will be a lovely compliment to my Organizing venture, and encourage you with all my heart to get your copy today.



As the new year hasn't started yet, I've been indulging in an old favorite. Though I've read Little Women nearly half a dozen times - about every two or three winters - it always feels fresh and never fails to encourage my heart and inspire me for vigorous home living.  I've already had a good cry over it and sweet Beth hasn't even died yet. 


Oh my, I am looking forward to the new year.  
Life is not picture perfect and change along with the great unknowns can seem threatening, but after all there is great cause to be hopeful and merry.

So once again, Happy New Year to you, friend!

14 comments:

  1. i'm reading little women this year too! and i'd love to hear more about that organizing book...can't wait to see what you're up to :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have the "Organized Simplicity" book and I LOVE it! I think it's another one of those books that you must share with someone. I did and I lent it to a friend of mine and I haven't looked at it since. I should get it back soon. I also wanted to tell you about another book that my friend told me about. It's called "Steady Days" by Jamie C Martin. I love it!! It's about becoming a "professional mother". Applying efficiency, intention, and purpose in your role as a mother. I really struggle in this area in my life and this book has been so practical and encouraging!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Cailan. I am new to your gorgeous blog, but have had such a lovely time over the Christmas break catching up on your posts. I have not read either of the first two books, but will be looking them up. I am such a Louisa May Alcott fan and adore Little Women. Enjoy your reading. Happy New Year to you from Australia ~ Tina

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am new to your blog, and can't wait to look around more but I wanted to leave you a quick comment-as not only did I pick up Little Women to re-read just this week, but I too recently made that hard move from where I loved to a new area where my husband's job is...I feel for you! I too am trusting God knows his plans for us. Best wishes on your journey,
    Amy
    www.11magnolialane.com

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thank you for the post it’s really nice.this is more good! do visit my site here.

    ReplyDelete

  6. I learn something new and challenging on blogs I stumbleupon on a daily basis.

    ReplyDelete

  7. It’s always interesting to read articles from other authors and practice something from their web sites.

    ReplyDelete

  8. Some really useful stuff on here, keep up posting. Cheers.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Much appreciated. All of your blog was amazing. I am really a fan of yours

    ReplyDelete

  10. I was seeking this particular info for a long time. Thank you and best of luck.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I will definitely recommend your website to everyone.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Thanks for sharing this information. Really informative site.

    ReplyDelete