Thursday, February 16, 2012

Sugar Cookie Recipe


It may seem late for a Valentine's sugar cookie recipe.  But I'm guessing if you made them this weekend for post-Valentines, nobody would complain. ; )

This recipe has been in our family's favorite since I was little.   The cookie recipe calls for sour cream, and the frosting is flavored with almond extract, making for quite the perfect sugar cookie. We used it for Christmas cookies every year growing up and often broke it out for Valentine hearts and St. Patty's shamrocks.  It makes a big batch to you could easily use half for hearts and then freeze the rest for shamrocks in March.



Our little family didn't ever manage Christmas cookies this year, so was determined to make these with my kiddos for Valentine's. 


I managed to snap just a few pictures of the process.  Someday I'll look back and only remember the sweetness...but right now I admit my main memory was the stress.


The pictures look pleasant, but in truth this was a pretty emotionally charged cookie-cutting session.  
 
 

 I suppose, in the end, love prevailed.


Here's the recipe. Consider yourselves family. : )


Our Favorite Sugar Cookies

1 cup butter
2 cups sugar
3 well beaten eggs
2 tsp vanilla
1 cup sour cream
5 cups flour
 3 tsp baking powder
1 tsp salt
1/2 tsp soda

1. Mix all together
2. Chill thoroughly
3. Roll out about 1/8 inch thick (you'll need quite a bit of extra flour for rolling)
4. Bake at 350 for 10 minutes

Frosting:
1/2 cup butter (softened)
1 pound powdered sugar
2 tsp. almond or vanilla extract
a little milk or 1/2 and 1/2 until smooth enough to spread



I'm sorry for my absence this week so far.  It wasn't planned, just happened.  I didn't see it coming, but somehow it seems every sort of event, work and trouble got dumped into this week.  The events are not all sad or unpleasant, but they compress the time and make the work and trouble feel more worrisome.   Suddenly there seems to be so much to sort out and not much time to do it in.  

So, trying to remember that God knows all about it all. 

He gives me sufficient grace for every trouble

And enough time to do everything I truly need to do.



8 comments:

  1. Cailan, this is so great! I gave this cookie recipe to your mom years and years ago when you were just little. It's been in my family for a couple of generations now. You don't find many sugar cookie recipes with sour cream. So glad you are still enjoying this delicious recipe! It is a keeper!

    Have a wonderful day!

    Kerry

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes! I do remember that. I really do have you to thank for all of those memories of our whole family cutting out and frosting sugar cookies together - really doubt it would have happened without such a great recipe. Such sweet memories - hoping for many more. :) Thank you so much, Kerry! With love, Cailan

      Delete
  2. YUM! i love sugar cookies, but they are kind of a pain to make. once a year? not that bad :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh my I am going to make these this weekend, you had me at sour cream!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am definitely going to make these! They look sooooo good! Thanks for sharing!

    Allyson
    http://cupcakescandycanes.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  5. Such a "sweet" post - in more ways than one! :) These looks soooo good!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Love the photos of the kids ... wouldn't have known there was any stress involved! I especially like that one little heart cookie on the sheet, the one that's slightly imperfect. How sweet.

    ReplyDelete