Friday, April 20, 2012

Tour of the New House

First, very grateful thanks for the great advice and comments on the whole shared bedroom topic.  I was surprised by how many of you have your boys and girls sharing rooms and very encouraged by your reports of it working really well and helping to foster good sibling friendships.  So, I think I really will put all three together for now and see what good times we have : )

***
Now to give you a little tour of our new home.  Keep in mind I only got to tour the house in person one time! and for less than an hour! and just quickly snapped these pictures! and yes, it's kind-of driving me crazy not to be able to stop in and poke around one. more. time.  Patience.   

Anyway, at least what pictures I did manage to get will give you an idea of the fun we're getting into ; )



 Always dreamed of a porch swing and quite charmed by that little brass mailbox.


Alright, this is what you see when you step inside.  
Sort-of a formal Entry area with the stairs to the right and the Living Room to the left.



Shot of the Entry from the Living Room.  
Oh, that Oak!  My heart was all aflutter.


Living Room.


Shot of Living Room from the Dining Room.


Shot of Dining Room from the Entry.



{Insert lots of heart flutterings here}



And the Kitchen.



Probably the Den/Office/Schoolroom?  The Mystery Room. : )



Main Floor Bathroom.
Yes, that's a little clawfoot tub.



Now, downstairs to the Basement...



...where we find the Laundry Room.  
Doing laundry in the basement will take some getting use to, but I am glad it feels so clean and bright for a basement and thrilled about that big sink.   There's also a long room to the right, where my sweetheart will have his study.



Now back through the house to the front Entry and upstairs.  Peek out happy, little window.

 




Upstairs Bathroom.  



Bedroom #1.  This would be the room all three kiddos would share.
Imagining three little beds, all in a row.


The Master Bedroom. 
It feels tremendously large.


Third Bedroom.  
Hoping to make Guests feel very, very, very welcome here.



Back downstairs.


And that's the tour!  
Minus a picture of the real-live Barn in back, which I neglected to take.  
The Barn also doubles as the Garage...

Oh. My.  Putting this post together and looking through the house again has my insides all in a whirl, and visions of paint, plaster, and pinterest swirl in my head.

So much potential.  So much work. 
So much fun.  So much work.  
So much potential for fun work.  ; )

I am very thankful for this home.  I don't think I ever told you, but this house was never actually on the market.  I emailed the owners to see if they were going to sell because I heard they might be moving because the man of the house was retiring...and my husband's new job is to fill his shoes. 

God is amazing like that. 
Thanks for poking about with me.

love, 
cailan


30 comments:

  1. I can see why your heart is aflutter! The house is so pretty and has so much character!! Looking forward to following along and seeing how you make it your own. Congratulations :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Can't even wait to see what you do with it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a cute house. It's the perfect project house, but in the same time it's not some dump. I love the entryway, and the kitchen is a nice size too. Lots of wallpaper, but not a problem. I know it's early but if you will be removing the wallpaper eventually, here's a resource on my blog to turn to: http://hip2thrift.blogspot.com/2012/03/how-to-remove-old-wallpaper-easily.html
    I've had my fair share of wallpaper removal.

    I love the front porch and the swing. It's just all so cute. A lot of projects are totaly diy'able.

    I know I have no authority, but I have to say: you can paint the kitchen cabinets but don't remove or paint those beams on the ceiling. Sooo pretty. I don't think I am gonna have a house anytime soon, but I still get all fluttery, just like you, seeing all the potential.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh Cailin, it is amazing! I know, I know it needs some updates, but WOW! There is so much about it that you would be hard pressed to find in one house and to find it all in one is almost unbelievable. You are either incredibly lucky or one talented house hunter, you did make the first move after all! What are the chances that if you rip up carpet and vinyl flooring that you will find hard wood floors though out?

    It is really, really beautiful and I am so looking forward to seeing your unique spin on making it a home. Congratulations!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love your new home. I know you will have great joy in adding those special touches to make it a home the family will enjoy.
    Linda/lindacrochets

    ReplyDelete
  6. Just gorgeous and so much potential. God is good!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wow!! What a beautiful new place for you to call home. You'll add just the right touches to make it yours! Awesome story about how it came about...amazing!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. oh wow, it'll be amazing, great detail it has!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Cailan, The house is just beautiful. Each time you posted that outdoor shot, I was so intrigued & waiting to finally see the inside. LOVE the craftmanship!!! I'm so thankful that God worked out the details. Can't wait to hear more of your adventures! ~Sally

    ReplyDelete
  10. Absolutely beautiful. Our last house was so similar, a sears catalog house. It was a large one with the mission style woodwork also.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I love this house! I can't wait to see what you do with it.

    Allyson
    http://cupcakescandycanes.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  12. you are kidding me!!! not even on the market??!! that's so amazing! you are gonna fluff that thang like it's never been fluffed!! oh! and i am thinking next summer we should take a road trip back to sd and if so, maybe we should just visit that sweet little house :) wait, did i just invite myself over?? ok, i did and i don't feel bad about it :D trying not to focus on how envious i am of not one but TWO adorable tubs!!

    love you, sweet girl.

    xo,
    a

    ReplyDelete
  13. The house is beautiful! Plus, it's pretty cool to get it before it even hit the market :) I look forward to seeing what you do with it!

    ReplyDelete
  14. beautiful cailan. this is charming! i am excited to see your new home transformed to reflect you, what fun it will be!

    xo

    ReplyDelete
  15. love it... I think I could almost move in... Love the porch.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Congratulations. It's a great house with wonderful potential. Thank goodness no one ever painted all that beautiful oak in the downstairs rooms. Amazing. Love the built-ins in the dining room. I'm curious about the front porch -- did someone enclose the sides at some point? I wonder if the columns were originally brick and someone wrapped them in siding? What year was the house built?

    I'm sure it will be fun (and hard work) fixing it up and making it your own. Enjoy the process!
    Claudia

    ReplyDelete
  17. Love the woodwork in the living and dining rooms. So gorgeous!! And the exterior of your new home is very, very inviting! :)

    ReplyDelete
  18. What a treasure in so many ways! LOVE that entryway and dining room. I am so excited for you - it has so much charm and so much potential! :)

    ReplyDelete
  19. What a beautiful house! My favorite things about it are the porch, the windows (esp. in the living room), and all the beautiful woodwork. Can't wait to see how you set it all up and decorate!

    ReplyDelete
  20. What a beautiful home!! So much character in all of the original woodwork!! Did I see some pocket doors?! Swoon!! The windows are all beautiful as well!! Can't wait to see what you do to it once you move in!!

    ReplyDelete
  21. How very exciting!! It's a beautiful house, and I can't wait to see what you do with it.

    ReplyDelete
  22. wow!
    you just can't beat the character and charm of an older home!
    LOVE it!
    can't wait to see how you make it yours. :)

    AND ohmygoodness! not even on the market? God had His hand ALL OVER THAT ONE!
    i totally love it when HE seals the deal like that, and we can just sit back and KNOW that HE is in control.
    xo

    ReplyDelete
  23. Oh my goodness.... God really does work in "Mysterious" ways on occassion!!! This house is amazing!!! Built ins, Pocket doors and claw foot tubs???????? Are you kidding me????!!! I am smiling with you !!!! What a blessing!! Congrats, Terri

    ReplyDelete
  24. how cool is that? what a need story and history! i am so excited for you and I cannot wait to see what you do to your new little nest!

    ReplyDelete
  25. Oh my!
    So much to love!

    I really don't comment much - but love your blog.
    And, yes, God does work that way :)
    Glad you took the prompting and made the call.

    ~ Dana
    Cooking at Cafe D

    ReplyDelete
  26. this is such a treasure!!! i love every little detail. how neat is that story? have fun with that dreamin' and schemin' - such a fun stage.

    ReplyDelete
  27. It’s no wonder you love your new house. Every nook and cranny of it is just BEAUTIFUL! I wish you guys luck in your renovations.

    ReplyDelete
  28. Just loved seeing your new house. I haven't looked at your blog in a while. I just love how you can put your posts together so lovely! Glad you had a nice trip to Indiana. I am so happy for you - with much love!

    ReplyDelete
  29. Such a gorgeous house! The woodwork -- from the formal entry area to the living and dining rooms – is just perfect. I love the warm and welcoming ambiance inside the house. I'd surely be one of the happiest persons in the world if I had a house like that.

    ReplyDelete
  30. Your house looks great with snow all over it! And I didn’t miss that little white swing. ;] It’s a really nice front view from here. It’s not surprising this is the house you bought. One can easily fall for its charm, especially the contrast of the sides. The winter-y scene outside is matched with a very cozy looking interior. It’s a great deal you got, I’m not gonna lie. ;]

    ReplyDelete